Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, April 17, 2009

My Amazing Jack

I have to admit that before we had kids I always knew that I wanted a boy and a girl (we got lucky). However, I was always a little scared about having a boy. Would I be able to bond over trucks and trains? Will I become interested in sports? Will a boy have interest in food and cooking? I can happily say yes to all of those questions. Jack at 2 1/2 is becoming a total foodie, it is now confirmed that he likes anchovies. He's had them several times and always wants more. He loves "cooking" in his play kitchen and loves to help me bake. It takes me a little longer but I love teaching him how to cook and bake. I'll measure the ingredients and he dumps them into the bowl and stirs, he gets very excited to help mommy in the kitchen. I may never become a sports junkie but I am looking forward to enrolling him in soccer and martial arts in a few years. I do love playing with cars and trains with Jack. The Easter Bunny brought Jack a bunch of Thomas the Tank Engine and he has been obsessed with the trains ever since then. We have to force him stop playing and to eat sometimes and he always sprints back to the train set. He kills me when he looks up at me and says "you play trains with me mommy." My heart just melts. The trains really are fun and we arrange the track differently each time.

Jack absolutely blows me away. The kid has an astounding memory and as his language skills get more sophisticated I am constantly surprised by his vocabulary, of course we teach him new words almost every day. He really liked the word "roomy" which was used to describe the new minivan interior. Recently Jack woke up in the middle of the night because of a bad dream, Bruce went in to comfort him and Jack said that Handy Manny's toolbox would help him sleep. This toolbox is about three or four inches long, I would have no idea where it would be, but when Bruce asked him if he knew where it was he said that it was in the bathroom. Bruce went and looked and sure enough there it was. A week or so ago I took Jack grocery shopping with me, it was really windy and my list blew away. This really seemed to bother him at the time and he kept saying "you yost the yist?" (you lost the list). Once in a while he pipes up with "you yost the yist?"

He is still going through an aggressive stage with Belle but most days are pure pleasure. It's going to be hard on me when I start school in the fall and I'm not with them both all day, but I know that both kids are going to love being in pre-school.

No comments: